Visit Watford has asked Watford residents and visitors to reveal the things they love about Watford town. We have collected your answers to create a TOP TEN and you might be surprised by the different perspectives or even find out about a fact you did not even know…until now!
10. Watford punches above its weight when it comes to providing accommodation to visitors. Whether you prefer a hotel downtown or a luxurious, relaxing resort a few minutes outside the town centre, Watford has it all. The great news is that these places also offer excellent locations to hold meetings and business events too.
9. We love Watford’s hidden gems and it definitely surprises us how much you can find at an only eight square mile town. Nature lovers would have a lovely time discovering Cheslyn Gardens, Cassiobury Farm and all parks around Watford with their hidden little lakes, cute bridges and pretty boats on the river.
8. The town centre is the perfect place to let your hair down, with everything from bars and pubs, to nightclubs and comedy venues. There is also a wide choice of restaurants, particularly in the town centre. Watford has also achieved the prestigious Purple Flag status for its evening and night-time economy (ENTE). Areas awarded the Purple Flag are recognised for providing a vibrant and diverse mix of dining, entertainment and culture while promoting the safety and wellbeing of visitors and residents.
7. Watford combines a thriving town centre and great opportunities for shopping and employment. Thanks to the £180million extension to the intu shopping centre, Watford is now ranked in the top 20 of CACI’s national retail rankings. Looking either at our huge shopping mall or around town, Watford provides anything you can think of and in variety.
6. Watford is – but at the same time is not – part of London! Due to the very easy accessibility from London to our town, people think Watford is North London; well not so! We are proud to be an independent town yet so close to England’s capital city, making it a perfect place to live or invest. Watford is only a 15 minute train journey to London Euston, which gives you the best of both worlds!
5. Its people and the general atmosphere – you can enjoy the relaxed lifestyle of a town where people are friendly and approachable. Choose your own favourite spots and become a regular – because it feels nice to feel familiar and be taken special care of, which you sure will!
4. Talking about accessibility, Watford’s holding is again proved to be exceptional when thinking of how close the area is to major London airports – taking less time than travelling across London!
3. Watford is an excellent location to get some “time out” and enjoy fresh air in nature, at one of its many award-winning parks, including Cassiobury, which is the jewel in Watford’s crown and one of the nation’s top parks! Watford’s green spaces have been granted more Green Flag awards than anywhere else in Hertfordshire for the third year running. Twelve parks and open spaces in Watford are now recognised by the Green Flag Award Scheme as some of the very best in the country.
2. The individuality of local small businesses, some of which do amazing things for the community. Watford has many examples of businesses, organisations and individuals who provide charity/volunteer work for common good, like helping the elderly or the homeless in and around town.
1. There are so many activities to do in Watford, from bowling to playing golf at local courses, and countless events for every taste run throughout the year. Many of them are free and family friendly, as for example The Big Screen or The Big Beach, while Watford also hosts the acclaimed annual Imagine Festival filled with performances by international artists. Furthermore, local theatres and attractions offer different kind of experiences for every taste.