We know that following the Government guidance allowing wider access to our beautiful outdoor spaces, restaurants, attractions, and accommodation, you’ll be keen to get out and blow away the cobwebs. Our number one priority right now is ensuring that people are able to enjoy our glorious town in a safe and responsible way; looking after ourselves, one another, and the landscape around us.
With so many encompassing winding footpaths, glorious gardens, wonderful waterways, and exciting cycle trails, there’s more than enough Watford to go around. So, help everyone to enjoy a little slice of our charming town safely by following the simple steps below…And remember, always check the restrictions before making the trip – #KnowBeforeYouGo.
- Respect the wildlife. Nature may have recolonised some areas, so please tread carefully and look out for wildlife that has moved into unexpected places during the lockdown. Please keep your dog on the lead and stick to footpaths and bridleways so as not to disturb ground nesting birds and other wildlife.
- Respect the attraction you’re visiting. Always follow their guidelines, remember to check on their website ahead of visiting, to understand any specific requirements for your visit. Many attractions may now require you to book tickets ahead, may have limited facilities and reduced opening hours.
- Respect our local communities by sticking to the Public Right of Way (footpaths and bridleways), keeping dogs on the lead, not parking outside people’s houses, and taking your litter home.
- Respect any specific guidelines that have been put in place, by planning ahead before travelling, and checking what facilities are open to you.
- Protect yourself and others. Always follow hand washing guidance, and strict social distancing of 2 meters apart from others who are not in your household. Social distancing not only applies to any form of exercise such as walking, running or cycling but also sitting or sunbathing.
- Protect the landscape by ensuring you are following the Countryside Code, which sets out how visitors to rural areas can behave safely and responsibly.
- Protect the environment by travelling sustainably and staying local. If you can, try to journey by foot or bike. This means you’ll have a chance to experience Watford as you travel, and you won’t have to worry about finding a car parking space.
- Enjoy getting off the beaten track. We know everyone has their favourite spot in Watford – or maybe their favourite two, or three – but if large numbers of people head to the same place, it becomes impossible to stay safely socially distanced. Instead, seek out some new favourites away from the crowds.
- Enjoy supporting our local businesses. There has never been a more important time to support your local businesses, be it producers, local stores or farm shops. And with so much fresh, local food on offer, why not make the most of it? #SupportSmall
- And finally… when you’re out and about, enjoy taking photos of your surroundings and sharing them with us @VisitWatford. We’d love to see them, and share them with others!
If you are holding off from getting outside for now, or are self-isolating and unable to leave your home, we’re totally committed to bringing the very best of Watford to you virtually. Check out our website where we have loads of information about enjoying Watford from home or follow our social channels @visitwatford