The Government has announced a £2bn ‘kickstart scheme’ to help young people at risk of long-term unemployment to find jobs. Our Watford businesses can join in and help a young person gain some invaluable work experience by offering them a work placement at your company.
Published: 23 September 2020
Watford Chamber of Commerce have put together all the information that you need and an application form should you be interested in adding to your workforce whilst also helping young people to find work during these exceptionally challenging times: click here.
The Watford Chamber team are working as an intermediary for local businesses of all sizes and all types of placements.
Watford Chamber of Commerce have learned a great deal about the programme, so here are some key points for your information:
- The Scheme is aimed at those aged 16 to 24 who are on Universal Credit and are deemed to be at risk of long term unemployment.
- Funding available for each job will cover 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, plus the associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions.
- Placements must be for 6 months.
- Placements should support the participant to develop the skills and experience they need to find work after completing the scheme.
- You will pay them via PAYE and will be refunded as above at approx. month 3 & 7 of the placement.
- They can work more than 25 hours and you can pay them more than the min wage (you can only claim 25 hrs and min wage etc).
- The earliest they can start will be 1 November 2020, subject to process with DWP.
- The programme is due to run for 1 year.
- This is an amazing opportunity to Kickstart your business and a chance to support the future workforce.