Watford Borough Council is managing the number of people using the main Cassiobury Park play area (located near the paddling pools and hub building) on Saturdays and Sundays, allowing a maximum of 75 people – including parents and guardians – within the play area at any one time.
Published: 26 January 2021
The council is responding to recent use of the play area (located near the paddling pools and hub building), with a high number of people visiting at weekends, making social distance difficult and risking the spread of Covid-19. One in three people with the virus does not show symptoms, so following guidance is still critical to protecting the community, particularly with the more infectious Covid-19 strain.
Working on the ‘one in / one out’ principle, people will be allowed within the gated play area as space becomes available. Two gates will be kept open and will be controlled by marshals, with signage in place across the park and play area explaining the new rules to park users.
Elected Mayor of Watford, Peter Taylor said: “We recognise how important people’s daily exercise is during lockdown and we are fortunate that Watford has so many great parks and outdoor spaces for people to visit. Taking this step means people can still enjoy the play area in Cassiobury Park but we must do all we can to make sure it is safe and that people are not risking their health or that of others.
“Only this week, we saw the pressure Watford General Hospital is still under on our televisions and that many more younger people are falling seriously ill with Covid-19. Watford’s parks and playgrounds are still very much open but I encourage everyone to be responsible and stay apart as best as they can whilst they are enjoying the fresh air and exercise.”
During this second wave of the pandemic, people must be extra careful when using the play equipment or visiting the park:
- Please avoid crowded parks – instead check out some of Watford’s alternative and quieter green spaces
- Don’t exercise if you have any symptoms or are self-isolating
- Follow all the guidance and instructions to help stop the spread of Covid-19
- Bring your own hand sanitiser and clean your hands / children’s hands before and after use
- Consider wiping down equipment before using it
- Keep to social distancing – 2 metres if you can but at least 1 metre plus
- Don’t touch your face with your hands and encourage children not to do so
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue and dispose of it safely
- Don’t eat or drink when using the equipment
- Remember to wash your hands thoroughly when you get home
For more information on how to visit Watford’s parks safely and their facilities, please visit www.watford.gov.uk/parks